Thursday, December 25, 2008

Our Christmas Mascot

After a long day of visiting family, and not sleeping but 2 hours last night, I awoke to my Husband playing Lego Batman on the Wii and our Daughter next to me in bed (she got a nap too yay!). We came out and after a while, I noticed there was a garden slug crawling on the ceiling right above the TV. When I announced this, well, let's just say that I am the designated 'bug-getter' or 'bug killer' in the family ;o) So, we poked it and it fell off the cieling - I caught it - 'someone' flipped out a bit then composed him, er ah, themselves, and I took the opportunity to show our Daughter in the bathroom - because the slug was a little dry. I have no problem gardening without gloves when I do get out there (and I have energy) and touching the things that are in our wonderful Florida dirt - slugs, snails, worms, and other wriggly critters. I pet the slug, got it to relax and stretch the eye stalks out, and it was on his way navigating my hand. DD was interested but not enough to touch. It now lives in the front garden.

I must saw that a slug is a good mascot for Christmas - it can teach us to adapt to our surroundings, relax, slow down, and teach others.

...yes, i did wash my hands...